Sunday 2 October 2011

THE BOXER REBELLION

Today I want to tell you all about a band that has been close to my heart for quite a long time now.
I've seen them several times over the years, starting in very cosy venues, like the Monto Water Rats in 2008 where a small but appreciative crowd got WOWed and where it was still very easy to take pictures from the front row:


Then there was Heaven earlier this year which was amazing and now the dot on the I - a show in a sold out Shepherd's Bush Empire, which was the first time the Spoon saw them. As expected it was once again a great night out crowned by front-man Nathan taking a singing walk through the excited audience.
The atmosphere was electric - the crowd loved the band, the band loved the crowd and at the end of the evening everybody had a big grin on their sweaty faces and the feeling of having been part of something special.
This is a band that has worked hard on their success - countless concerts, 3 albums out with one of them (Union) self released and I am so happy that they have been rewarded with moments like that! They didn't become super famous yet, but the following they do have is strong, loyal and appreciate great music and dedication.
They might not have reinvent the music wheel, but front man Nathan's great haunting and versatile voice and great songs that range from big songs fit for stadiums to soft melodic tunes that creep right into your heart make them exciting to listen to on record and the band also translates those to the stage exceptionally well.

It's easy to see that they love what they do, actually like each other and that (paired with the great music) is why I love them.
I already know now that the next time they come to London, I'll be buying a ticket again without any hesistation because I know they will deliver a couple of hours of brilliant entertainment and leave me with a happy fuzzy feeling inside.

Thank you guys and keep on doing what you're doing!


3 comments:

Spccwgurl said...

Sounds like a fantastic gig! I'll have to give them a go. Let me know which CD I should listen to first.

Melosine said...

Hmmm ... difficult. My favourite is probably the second one "Union". But I like them all.
Probably you should listen to them chronologically and start with "Exits"
After that you'll like them so much that you will listen to the other one's anyways :-)

Rabea said...

This was a great gig indeed! It was nice to see how thankful they were to play at a sold out shepherds bush empire.